The Swanson Inn is a strong supporter of outdoor enthusiasts and athletes visiting the Mad River Valley. We have partnered with several organizations who encourage recreation throughout the region and the state. We offer special accommodations for Long Trail hikers (thru-hikers and section hikers), Mad Marathon competitors, and cyclists visiting the Mad River Valley for training and competition. We are also a trailhead location for the Mad Path Recreation Association.
Long Trail Hikers
The Green Mountain Club has built and maintained the Vermont Long Trail for over 100 years, and the Ap Gap trailheads are a short 6 miles from the Swanson Inn. Rick and Tim walked the Long Trail end-to-end in 2016 and have a soft heart for those on a LT journey, thru-hiking or those walking a section at a time.
We offer the following specials for LT thru-hikers who book a room for one night:
- Trail-head pick-up any time after 12:00 noon and drop off at 7a the day of departure.
- Re-supply run to the local grocery store.
- Re-supply mail delivery location.
- Use of laundry facilities.
- Hearty pasta dinner and early breakfast.
We offer the following specials for LT section hikers who book a room for 2, non-consecutive nights:
- We will drop-off and pick-up your party (up to 4 people) at any tailhead between Brandon Gap and Rout 15. rop off departure from the Inn is at 7a, and pick-up is after 12 noon.
- Upon return, use of laundry facilities.
The great Mad Marathon will take place on Sunday, July 7, 2019 and the Swanson Inn is excited to be a sponsor of this wonderful event. For those who wish to stay with us, we have blocked the weekend for you, so you must call or email to reserve your room. Our specials for the Mad Marathoners and their supporters are:
- With a 2 night stay you receive free carbo-load dinner for two.
- With a 1 night stay you receive a carbo-load dinner at $10/person.
- Non-guests and friends: Carbo-load dinner $20/per person.
- Call to reserve your seat for the Carbo-load dinner for one of two seatings: 5:30p or 7:30p.
- Beer, wine or hard cider are available for an additional cost.
Cycling on Rt. 17 in Waitsfield is a popular destination for many enthusiasts. For those enjoying the ride on Rt. 17, we offer:
- Free water fill-up station 7 days a week
- Free use of tools for any bike repairs
- Public restroom
- Food and snacks at a small price
For those wishing to stay with us, we offer:
- Secure, locked space to store bikes overnight
- 2 repair bike stands
- We are within 2 miles of two cycling stores for other assistance with repairs
- Discounts for cycling clubs who book four of more rooms for two or more nights.
Mad Path Recreation Path
The Swanson Inn is proud to support the Mad River Path Association (add web link). From our parking lot, you can begin the Millbrook Trail https://www.madriverpath.com/maps-millbrook.php, and fun and challenging trail, following Vermont Rt. 17 for 2.1 miles. Please see their website for more information.